Merlin Project: Microsoft Project Professional for Mac and iPad users Merlin Project can be customized to meet your individual needs. In addition to the full version for Mac and iPad, there is also a Mac version for beginners available with reduced functionality: Merlin Project Express (see feature comparison ). Microsoft Project is the best project, portfolio, and resource management solution—but it’s not available on macOS®. However, with Parallels Desktop® for Mac, Apple® users can use a Windows virtual machine (VM) to run Microsoft Project on Mac®. Getting started with running MS Project on macOS is easy: Download a trial of Parallels Desktop. .Pre-built templates help you get your project started on the right track.Sync with Project Online and Project Server.Users can submit timesheets to capture project and non-project time spent.Run what-if scenarios to make the most of your task assignments.Auto-populate start and end dates based on dependencies.Visually represent complex schedules with built-in multiple.
Teamwork (Free Forever Plan) Although Teamwork (formerly known as Teamwork Projects). .Pre-built templates help you get your project started on the right track.Sync with Project Online and Project Server.Users can submit timesheets to capture project and non-project time spent.Run what-if scenarios to make the most of your task assignments.Auto-populate start and end dates based on dependencies.Visually represent complex schedules with built-in multiple.
Microsoft Project is the best project, portfolio, and resource management solution—but it’s not available on macOS®. However, with Parallels Desktop® for Mac, Apple® users can use a Windows virtual machine (VM) to run Microsoft Project on Mac®.
Getting started with running MS Project on macOS is easy:
- Download a trial of Parallels Desktop.
- Set up a Windows 10 VM. It’s very easy to buy a new Windows 10 license inside Parallels Desktop. (You can also use an existing Windows 10 license key.)
- Purchase Microsoft Project and download the .exe file in your Windows 10 VM.
- Start using Microsoft Project to get your job done!
Parallels Desktop is the #1 virtualization solution to run Windows, Linux, and other popular operating systems on Mac. Virtualization of a Windows OS on Mac has endless benefits, including:
- Low cost in comparison to buying a second computer
- Minimized or eliminated downtime
- Increased productivity
- Faster backups
- Easy to recover or migrate to additional Mac devices
- Economic use of energy
- Eco-friendly choice to minimize the amount of electronic waste a single user produces.
If you’re still deciding if Parallels Desktop is right for you, continue reading to understand how a program manager utilizes virtualization to run Microsoft Project.
As a self-employed program manager, Tim specializes in large-scale data migrations and the development of sustainable business intelligence (BI) and analytic solutions. He has a wealth of experience in both IT and capital asset delivery, as well as general management, operational, and strategic roles in asset-intensive industries and regulation.
Like most consultants, Tim needs slick and stable IT to allow him to focus on the real issues. He doesn’t want IT issues to constantly be distracting him. Parallels Desktop offers a reliable platform that allows him to deliver.
As an avid personal user of Apple products, Tim also wished to migrate his work life to Mac. However, for most clients he needed to use Microsoft Project as a Gantt chart management tool. Being able to manage multi-project plans is an essential element for any program manager. Unfortunately, Microsoft Project is one of the few pieces of Microsoft software that has not been developed to run on macOS.
After online research, Tim concluded that the only successful way to use Microsoft Project on a Mac was through a Windows virtual machine. He discussed the issue directly with Apple, and they recommended Parallels Desktop as a solution.
Following a very simple installation of Parallels, Tim can now use Microsoft Project natively within a Windows environment on his MacBook Pro®. This means there’s no translation between products claiming to act as a Microsoft Project editor—quite simply, he’s running a Windows version of Microsoft Project on his Mac. It has proved to be an excellent solution for Tim.
Tim wholeheartedly recommends Parallels Desktop, which he has now been using successfully for several months. Installation was simple, and there are many configuration options that can be changed. (For example, the amount of memory dedicated to the Apple or Windows operating system.) This gives greater flexibility to the user. Tim hasn’t had any issues with Parallels Desktop at all, and the product is extremely stable in every way. Tim also added that Parallels® Toolbox (which comes included with Parallels Desktop) has been useful. He particularly likes the disk cleaning tool, which ensures his laptop is always operating efficiently.
If you’d like to use Parallels Desktop to run popular Windows programs on Mac (without rebooting!), download a free 14-day trial.
Microsoft Project is by far the most popular project management software on the market, at least among Windows users. You are a proud Mac or iPad user? No problem. You are in the right place to find all the information you need about MS Project compatibility and project management software alternatives for macOS and iOS.
Is there a version of Microsoft Project for Mac or iPad?
No, Microsoft Project is not produced for macOS. Microsoft sells versions of their Office applications but no project management equivalent. However, there are alternatives which are just as powerful as MS Project.
Although there is no official successor to Microsoft, Merlin Project is considered the best MS Project replacement - on both Mac and iPad.
Give it a try!
How to find the best Microsoft Project alternative for macOS and iOS
There is a wide range of project management applications available. To decide which solution is the best fit for you, you should first get very clear about your requirements. We have put together several questions to get you started on your reflection process:
- Online/offline functionalities: Do you want to work online only or do you prefer to be able to access and edit your project data online as well as offline?
- Compatibility: Should project documents be readable on operating systems other than macOS?
- Mobility: How important is mobile access to your project data?
- Customization: Which level of customization do you want your software to offer?
- Collaboration: Do you want several users to read and edit documents at the same time? Do you need to depict different levels of authorization?
- Import/export: Which formats do you need to import and export?
- Budget: What is your budget?
- Support: What kind of support is available? How many ressources are offered for free online?
- Testing: Is it possible to download a free trial version?
Of course, you should define your own priorities and add your individual questions, i.e. Do you need milestones? Do you want a budgeting tool as part of your project management software suite? Which functions do you expect from resource planning?
A project mangement software fulfilling all aspects mentioned above is Merlin Project. It combines professional functionalities with intuitive usability and may well be considered the most powerful MS Project alternative for macOS currently available.
Merlin Project: Microsoft Project Professional for Mac and iPad users
Merlin Project can be customized to meet your individual needs. In addition to the full version for Mac and iPad, there is also a Mac version for beginners available with reduced functionality: Merlin Project Express (see feature comparison). Mobile use is supported as well as teamwork via Merlin Server, a secure, locally installed server.
- Online/offline functionalities: You can edit all your project data offline and online.
- Compatibility: You can open and edit Microsoft Project documents with Merlin Project.The application supports import as well as export of MS Project data.
- Mobility: You can plan your project with the additional iOS app for Merlin Project.
- Customization: You have a variety of options to customize the user interface of Merlin Project according to your preferences.
- Collaboration: You can view and edit Merlin Project documents with multiple users at the same time. You can define individual levels of authorization for each user and project document. Also, it is possible to make changes in a private work area and synch those changes later to share them with other team members.
- Import/export: Besides MS Project data all major file formats are supported.
- Budget: Merlin Project and Merlin Project Express are available as annual or monthly subscriptions. For Merlin Server you buy a license according to the number of users / connections in steps of 5. Price overview.
- Support: A free E-Mail support is available to you, which answers inquiries within a few hours on weekdays. In addition, users can find extensive and free learning material on the website: manuals, quick guides, frequently asked questions, videos tutorials.
In all decisions we make for Merlin Project development, our goal is to deliver the best PM software for Mac and iPad. Try it out for yourself!
Is there a free alternative to Microsoft Project?
SaaS applications for project management have attracted more and more attention in the last years. Managing teams without being restricted by limits of operating systems, without worrying about IT infrastructure and file exchange – SaaS applications promised the perfect solution. Lots of producers offer their tools on a subscription basis and almost as many offer free versions for beginners. We strongly advise against using those free project management tools as alternatives for MS Project.
Some of the SaaS applications may be a good fit for private use. They are nice task management tools but they do not allow a comprehensive project planning as they lack important elements like budget planning, resource management or a variety of different views i.e. gantt charts, mind maps or organization charts. Professional project management for free? Too good to be true. Better invest in a slick project management solution and be sure to benefit from all necessary features and an intuitive usability.
Ms Project Professional 2016 For Mac
Why you do not need Microsoft Project Viewer for Mac and iPad
You are already working with lots of different tools. Keep your set of tools small to not loose time and nerves searching for information. If you are using Merlin Project or Merlin Project Express, you don't need additional project management tools. Therefore, you also do not need Microsoft Project viewer. As mentioned, MS Project documents can be opened and edited with Merlin Project just fine.
Free demo version of Microsoft Project alternatives for Mac and iPad
Ms Project Free Download For Macbook Pro
Every professional project management application should allow full version testing before buying. If you are looking for an alternative to MS Project your practical experience with other tools is an important part of your decision making.
You can test Merlin Project 30 days free of charge.