- Here we recommend saving the converted video on Mac desktop or the folder as often used as possible. Step 3: Start converting MKV to QuickTime playable video file on Mac OS. Now hit the orange 'Convert' button to begin the conversion process on Mac. You may track the conversion status and the remaining time via progressing bars attached on the.
- In Mac OS X v10.6 and newer, since the QuickTime X (QT Player v10.x) AVFoundation playback structure no longer posses an open codec architecture for 3rd party plugins or components installation, you can't drop AVI files that aren't encoded as Mjpeg video with PCM onto QuickTime X player for direct playback.
Elmedia Video Player is a free media player for Mac OS. It can play pretty much any file type, be it AVI, MP4, FLV, SWF, WMV, MKV, MP3, M4V etc. Elmedia Video Player is an all-in-one solution that doesn't call for any additional plugins or codecs. This player has a wonderful HD experience to offer. Tutorial on Using Perian for Quicktime to Play Videos of Various Formats on Mac Perian can be recognized as the Swiss-army knife of QuickTime, or saying as add-in of QuickTime. It enables QuickTime to play many popular video formats that not supported by QuickTime natively, like WebM/VP8, MKV.
A simple way for Mac users to convert MKV files to any other Quicktime-supported format.
This guide is so simple that it doesn't even require any screenshots, just a passing knowledge of Quicktime for Mac OSX.
1) Quicktime Player - included with every Mac system (I use QT Pro, but maybe the standard free version will work... can someone confirm?)
2) Perian Beta 1.0 - http://perian.org/beta.html - the new beta adds Quicktime support of Matroska MKV files.
3) Flip4Mac Studio Pro HD (optional, needed for conversions to WMV)
What To Do:
1) Install Perian Beta 1.0 if you haven't already.
2) Open your MKV file in Quicktime
3) In Quicktime, choose 'File' -> 'Export'
4) Adjust Quicktime's export settings as desired. I have been converting 720p MKVs for viewing on my Xbox360 and have had success with creating H.264 MP4 files with a bitrate of 8000kbps, and AAC-LC 2-channel audio.
5) Export and enjoy!
NB: If QT complains that your source's audio contains different bitrate samples, do this:
1) Open the MKV in Quicktime.
2) Choose 'Window' -> 'Show Movie Properties'
3) Highlight the audio track, and select 'Extract'. The extracted audio track will open in a new QT window.
4) In the new QT window (which shows your extracted audio from step 3), choose 'File' -> 'Export' and select 'Sound to AIFF'. Press 'Options' and be sure that 'Linear PCM' and 'Stereo L R' are selected.
5) Export your audio track, which creates a new AIFF file.
6) Open your AIFF file, then choose 'Edit' -> 'Select All' -> 'Copy'
7) Focus on the QT window which houses your MKV file.
8) Make sure that the playback head is at the beginning of the MKV file, then choose 'Edit' -> 'Add To Movie'
9) Again, choose 'Window' -> 'Show Movie Properties'
10) Highlight the ORIGINAL audio track (NOT your newly inserted AIFF), and hit 'Delete'. This leaves you with the original video, and an AIFF audio track.
11) Your audio should now be suitable for exporting by QT, as detailed in the first part of this guide.
All in all, this is an easy, one-app way of converting MKV files. Have fun!
by Christine Smith • 2020-09-22 20:56:39 • Proven solutions
As many Mac users have noticed, they can't play or open MKV files on Mac. What's the matter? MKV is a free, open-source container format with different types and an unlimited number of video, audio, picture, or subtitle tracks, making it unrecognizable by a single player like QuickTime. Then how to watch MKV files on Mac? Don't worry. We collect 3 methods for you to play MKV Mac successfully.
Part 1. Play MKV with All-in-one Wondershare MKV Player & Converter
Without further ado, I'd like to recommend you Wondershare UniConverter (originally Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate), which combines MKV player and MKV converter into one, allowing you to free play MKV, MP4, MOV, and over 1000 popular video formats and easily convert MKV formats to other supported formats for playing back on any player.
1. Play MKV on Mac with Wondershare Free MKV Player
Step 1 Add MKV to Wondershare Free MKV Player
Open the Wondershare MKV player, drag, and drop your MKV video to the MKV video player. Then the added MKV file will be loaded in the video thumbnail.
Step 2 Play .mkv on Mac
Move the mouse over the MKV video thumbnail. You'd see a Play icon in the middle just as the screenshot shows.
Mkv For Quicktime Mac Download
Click the Play icon, and you'll see the loaded MKV video starts playing immediately.
Mkv For Quicktime Mac Free
2. Convert MKV to MOV or Other Formats Supported with Wondershare MKV Converter Mac
Here we take converting MKV to MOV as an example. See the detailed steps below.
Step 1 Add MKV Files to Convert to MOV
Launch Wondershare MKV Converter Mac, click to browse your Mac, and add your target MKV video to the program.
Step 2 Choose MOV as Output Format
Click the down arrow icon beside Output Format to get the full list of the output formats, select Video > MOV and choose a video resolution in the right.
If you have a lot of MKV files and want to play them on other Apple devices like iPhone, iPad, or iPod, you'd better convert MKV to an optimized device. In short, you can choose any format or device you want (most popular format or devices are also supported here).
Step 3 Convert MKV to MOV Easily
Hit Start All or Convert to start converting MKV videos on Mac. Once the MKV conversion completes, you can click the folder-like icon beside File Location in the bottom to get the converted .mov file. Now you can freely play MKV video with QuickTime player. Here, you also can download the MKV videos from the online site as the MOV format in this Wondershare Video Downloader for Mac easily.
Mkv Files Mac
Part 2. Convert MKV to Mac-compatible Formats with Free MKV Converter Online
Here is an easier way for you to free convert MKV to other supported formats on Mac. With the online MKV converter tool AConvert, you don't need to install any program but start MKV conversion online.
- Open AConvert, click on Video from the Control Panel located on the left side first.
- Click on the File > Browse button to add your MKV file.
- On Target Format, click on the down arrow and search for MOV or other formats.
- Click on Convert Now to initiate MKV conversion. Once finished, you can find the converted MKV files under Conversion Results.
Part 3. Install Perian Plugin for QuickTime to Play MKV on Mac
Perian is a free, open-source QuickTime component that adds native support for many popular video formats like the MKV. When you've had Perian installed, you have to quit QuickTime completely and then restart it.
Note that you don't close the QuickTime Window. Actually, it's still running in the background. Since only that way, QuickTime can update its format and encoding library. See the detailed steps below.
Mkv For Quicktime Machine
- Download Perian for QuickTime and double click to launch it.
- Drag and drop QuickTime components to Perian.
- Restart all programs related to QuickTime, including iTunes, QuickTime Player, your browser, etc.
Now you'll find that QuickTime now can magically support more diverse video formats: AVI, DivX, DivX 3.11 alpha, XviD, MS-MPEG4 v3, 3ivX, MS-MPEG4 v2, MS-MPEG4 v1, Truemotion VP6, Sorenson H.263, FLV, and formats that an AVI file contains--AC3, AAC Audio, VBR MP3, mpeg4, and h.264. In short, feel free to play MKV files on Mac.